Friday, August 1, 2008

Castile Milk Soap

Recipe I thought up for the Castile Milk soap was:

Olive Oil 64%
Coconut Oil 20%
Shea Butter 16%

I had a high percent of Shea for moisture due to my hubby's concern about the Lemon Mint soap being too drying. Additives added to the soap was oatmeal. I made this via the Hot Process method. Once I mixed the lye/milk with the oils, got a trace, I put my crock pot on low temp for 30 minutes.

After 30 minutes, I noticed that the mixture did not do anything. It looked as if the milk had curdled. I proceeded to mix the mixture with a stick blender while it was cooking. Within 5 minutes, I started to get the "applesauce" texture I needed for this process to work. I forgot that with milk soaps, it needs to be super hot for it to gel. It gelled, I took it out of the crock pot and added the oatmeal.

I figure if I left the mixture on low rather than high temp, that thing would not have gelled in the crock pot until Friday. I will probably take the soap out of the mold on Saturday. It is a castile soap so I anticipate it being soft even if it would be ready to use.

Unfortunately I am unable to post a picture of my creation. My 5 yr old HP camera has gone off to be with the Lord. ;)

Shea Bath Products
Learn More About Shea Bath

No comments: